Becoming Sustainable: Facilities Plan Update
December 3, 2015
The district has completed an extensive 60-day public consultation on the Becoming Sustainable: Facilities Plan Update. The plan recommends school closures and consolidations to allow the district to reduce annual operating costs, reduce future capital expenses, and identify capital assets for future consideration. In doing so, the plan will enable the district’s limited resources to be better directed toward student learning.
After receiving feedback from the community and recommendations from district staff, the Board of Education approved the following:
- Woodlands Secondary will close effective June 30, 2016, with students given the choice to attend Wellington Secondary or Nanaimo District Secondary School (NDSS) for September 2016.
- North Cedar Intermediate will be reconfigured as a Kindergarten to Grade 7 school effective September 2016. Woodbank Primary to close effective June 30, 2016.
- Learn@Home K-7 (Departure Bay Elementary) and Learn@Home 8-12 (NDSS) will be amalgamated and relocated to the former Mount Benson Elementary School, effective September 2016.
- District Elementary Skills for Life will relocate to Georgia Avenue Community Elementary School effective September 2016.
- Rutherford Elementary will close effective June 30, 2017 or later, subject to the completion of a new wing at Frank J. Ney Elementary.