What is personal information? The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) defines personal information as "recorded information about an identifiable individual."
It is important to understand what personal information is because FIPPA sets out requirements about protecting, storing and accessing it. NLPS will not share any student information with Google for the purpose of student account creation for any students where consent has not been obtained.
Google Suite for Education (GSFE) must be used only in the following prescribed manner:
- Student’s name, grade and school to create just the GSFE login
- Assignments, research notes, presentations, school-based projects
- Multimedia objects created by students (videos, pictures, animations, etc.)
- Quizzes, tests, surveys
- Professional development materials
- Summative assessments (teachers comments, peer feedback)
- Calendars for assignment dates, events, deadlines
- Communication with teachers and students related to education
GSFE should not be used for:
Personal contact information such as name, address, telephone number, email address, personal education number, photographs or videos that identify students.
GSFE - Parent and Student Consent Process
The use of the GSFE service is not an educational requirement for students. Students will not be obliged to use these digital tools, and all school activities that rely on the use of these digital tools must allow for and accept alternate and equivalent means of student participation.
Prior to use, parents of students from Kindergarten to Grade 12 (or under the age of 18), must fill out the district ‘Google Suite for Education’ consent letter. Please click on the link to download the GSFE Student Consent Letter.