The Facilities Department is responsible for:
Operations – Cleaning of schools and other buildings
Maintenance – Keeping the district’s schools and other buildings and grounds in good repair
- Parents or the general public who have maintenance concerns should contact the school directly. If required, the school will initiate a service request to the appropriate department.
Capital Planning – Overseeing construction of new buildings and additions to buildings and overseeing construction projects to address seismic condition of schools
Major Capital Projects Summary January 2022
- South Wellington Project
- Cilaire Elementary Seismic Mitigation Project
- Ecole Hammond Hammond Bay Elementary Expansion
- Ventilation Upgrades
Minor Alterations – Planning and carrying out renovations to schools
NLPS Energy Cup & Energy Cup MINI 2022-2023
The 8th Annual Energy Cup Challenge is on – November 1, 2022 to February 28, 2023
An Energy Cup trophy and a $2,500 bonus will be awarded to the top winners in two categories:
- Elementary / Intermediate schools
- High schools
The 2nd Annual Energy Cup MINI Challenge is on – November 1, 2022 to February 2023
Three Energy Cup MINI participation prizes of $400 each will be awarded to participating Elementary Schools, one in each region – North, Central and South. School names will be put into a draw on March 1, 2022. Schools are free to spend the prize money on anything related to energy, sustainability or healthy lifestyles at the school.
- Electric School Buses NLPS will have seven EV buses by January 2023. Received first EV trades vehicle in March 2022.
- PSO Climate Change Accountability Report (CCAR) – 2021
- BC Hydro Quarterly Report – June 2022
- Testing Water Quality in School Facilities
- Ministry of Education – Seismic Mitigation Program
Transportation – Providing school bus services
Who Receives School Bus Service?
Bus transportation is provided for students who live outside the walk limit boundaries. Walk limits for the provision of school bus transportation are:
- Students in Kindergarten to Grade 3 living beyond 4 km (2.5 miles) from school will be eligible for transportation.
- Grades 4-12 pupils living beyond 4.8 km (3 miles) from school will be eligible for transportation.
- All Grades 1-12 pupils may be required to walk up to 3.2 km (2 miles) to the nearest bus stop.
The district also provides school bus service for students with special needs.
After-hours rental of district facilities to community groups
At this time, all renters are still required to complete a District-provided Communicable Disease Plan prior to entering into a rental contract. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with details of your request and you will be provided with the applicable form. User groups must continue to follow all applicable provincial orders and guidelines outlined in the Provincial COVID-19 Communicable Disease Guidelines for K-12 Settings and the SD68 Communicable Disease Prevention Plan.
We are currently in the process of renewing rental contracts for historical user groups. New requests for District facilities will be considered after returning organizations have been booked. If interested in booking a District facility during the 2022/23 school year, please email details of your booking to email@example.com. and you will be added to the waitlist. Points to include are preferred time and day(s) of the week, start and end dates, preferred school and/or area of town, the nature of your booking, and any other pertinent details.
- Rental Fees
- Online facility booking program – questions or concerns with your online login, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250 741-5241 or 250 741-5244.
*Important notice for renters regarding emergency cancellations*
A reminder to all rental partners that the School District reserves the right to cancel individual rental incidences waiving the notice period, for health and safety risks. In these instances the renter will not be charged due to emergency cancellation by the Board. Power outages, inclement weather, emergent maintenance, capital loss events, and school closures are some of the reasons the district has had to cancel permits in the past. The district may also cancel rentals when given direction from the health authority. Thank you for your understanding.