2021-2022 Administration Dates
Starting on Monday, October 4 through to Friday, November 12, 2021, all B.C. students in Grades 4 and 7 will be participating in the B.C. Ministry of Education’s Foundation Skills Assessment (FSA). The Ministry of Education recognizes that this is a challenging time for everyone, both in our province and around the world and have been working with public and independent schools, First Nations, Métis Nations BC, as well as education stakeholders to ensure continued learning opportunities for children throughout British Columbia.
This provide-wide assessment:
- is based on B.C. curriculum.
- was created collaboratively by teachers, educational experts, and B.C.’s Ministry of Education.
- happens early in the school year to help guide teaching and learning.
- is a ‘snapshot’ of what students have learned in reading, writing and numeracy so far in their school career.
- has four parts: a Collaboration Activity, a Student Booklet, some Online Questions, and a Student Self-Reflection.
- is used alongside other quality classroom assessments throughout the year.
There are multiple components that span over a number of days. It takes about 3.5 – 4 hours. If you need more time, you can have it. Some parts are completed online and some parts are done with pencil and paper.
Some parents may receive materials from the British Columbia Teachers’ Federation. Please keep in mind that administration of the FSA is a Ministerial Order. It is our Legislative Responsibility to ensure that this Ministry Assessment is administered, students are supervised, assessment is completed and the data from the assessments is collected and transmitted to the Minister.2020-12-Attachment-Parents-Should-Know-FSA-tests
The data from the FSA provides information to schools and the district to look at areas of direction for the coming year(s) curriculum which may need focus. Assessment results are provided to parents, teachers, schools, school districts and the Ministry of Education.