There are approximately 1,500 students enrolled in the French Immersion program, Kindergarten to Grade 12.
Students enter the Early French Immersion program in Kindergarten or Grade One, or Late French Immersion in Grade 6.
Early French Immersion Registration (Kindergarten & Grade 1)
Registration for Early French Immersion (Kindergarten & Grade 1) Starts Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 8 a.m. and ends Thursday, January 31, 2019. Student placement in French Immersion will be done via lottery. Students with an older sibling must register by the stated deadline for priority placement.
An Email will be sent out mid-February to all applicants announcing the lottery results. Applicants not offered a space are automatically placed on a wait list.
Late French Immersion (Grade 6)
- Parent Information Open House – Thursday, December 13 @ 6:30pm in the Library at Ecole Quarterway Elementary
- More information available here
French Immersion is offered at four elementary schools in NLPS:
École Hammond Bay School – Hammond Bay is a single-track French Immersion school, meaning that the immersion program is the only one offered at the school. Currently there are 347 students in Kindergarten to Grade 7. Phone 250 758-5711
- École North Oyster School – French Immersion was introduced at North Oyster in the fall of 2014. North Oyster is a dual-track school. With a total enrolment of 271 students Kindergarten to Grade 7, North Oyster offers both early French Immersion and the regular English program. Phone 250 245-3330
- École Pauline Haarer School – Pauline Haarer is a single-track French Immersion school with 241 students in Kindergarten to Grade 7. Phone 250 754-2722
École Quarterway School – Quarterway is a single-track French Immersion school. Quarterway is the only site in the district that offers both early and late French Immersion. Currently there are 325 students in Kindergarten to Grade 7. Phone 250 754-6845
Secondary students continue their French Immersion studies:
French Immersion Registration
Registration for Early French Immersion, (Kindergarten and Grade 1) and Late French Immersion (Grade 6) starts in January for the next September.
- Registration for the 2019-20 school year begins January 9, 2019 at 8 a.m. and ends January 31, 2019. More information is available here.
Late French Immersion
Late French Immersion is a two-year intensive program offered to students who have successfully completed Grade 5. This highly popular second language program is offered subject to space availability and the requirements of our enrolment and registration process.
The program is offered at Ecole Quarterway Elementary. Call to find out more information 250 754-6845.