B.C.’s Kindergarten to Grade 12 (K-12) education system is being modernized with new curriculum. In the fall of 2015, the province began the process of transitioning to the new curriculum.
A new way of reporting for the redesigned curriculum
The district has implemented the redesigned curriculum for Grades K-9. In the 2017/18 school year, Grade 10-12 teachers are able to use either the old curriculum, or parts of the new draft curriculum.
In 2018/19, all B.C. schools will use the new Grade 10 curriculum; the Grades 11 & 12 curriculum will remain optional for trial use.
In 2019/20, all B.C. schools will use the new Grades 11 & 12 curriculum.
The district’s goal is to design a way of reporting that will fully involve students, parents and teachers and the new provincial curriculum is designed to capture the passions and interests of students to better meet their personalized needs. There are better communication tools now to keep parents informed and connected to their child’s learning.
Until February 28, 2017, the Ministry of Education was asking for input and gathering feedback from parents on student progress reporting. You can sign up for engagement updates here.
- Ministry of Education Update – K-9 Curriculum
- Ministry of Education Update – K-9 Reporting
- Ministry of Education Student Reporting Order and Policy
- Communicating Student Learning K-7 (Teacher Guide) – January 2018
- Communicating Student Learning K-7 (Parent Guide) – March 2017
- Communicating Student Learning Grades 8-9 (Parent Guide) – March 2017
- Core Competencies K-7 – June 2017
- Core Competencies 8-9 – June 2017
- Updated: BC Curriculum Comparison Guide – June 2017
- Communicating Student Learning 8-12 (Teacher Guide) – September 2017
- Updated: Communicating Student Learning 8-12 – January 2018
- Communicating Student Learning Parent Progress Report Inserts – January 2018
- 2018 Graduation Program (Parent Guide) – February 2018
Feedback - Communicating Student Learning
The district is looking for feedback for the District Reporting Process. Deadline for feedback is Monday, April 3, 2017.