After much hard work on the part of Indigenous Education from the Nanaimo-Ladysmith and Cowichan schools districts, in partnership with the Hul’qumi’num Language Stakeholders group, the Hul’qumi’num Language IRP Grades 5 to 12 received Ministry approval in 2007.
The IRP is being used by Hul’qumi’num Language teachers and is available on the Ministry websites (listed below). In partnership with Chemainus Native College, a cohort of language teachers received in-service on the IRP.
In a letter addressed to Superintendent Michael J. Munro, the Ministry congratulated all those involved with the IRP in producing a “very fine document.”
Currently we are able to offer Hul’qumi’num instruction at John Barsby, Ladysmith Secondary, Bayview Elementary and Georgia Avenue Elementary.
In the future, it is hoped that the IRP will be a vehicle for increasing the number of schools who are able to offer the Hul’qumi’num language. The IRP combined with the Developmental Standard Teaching Certificate Program, currently being offered by Vancouver Island University and Chemainus Native College will go a long way to revitalizing the language.
Indigenous Learning Team
Hul’qumi’num Classroom Phrases
Hul’qumi’num Language IRP Grades 5 to 12
- Hul’qumi’num 5 to 12 (Integrated Resource Package 2007)
- Hul’qumi’num 5 to 12 (Curriculum)
- Hul’qumi’num 5 to 12 (Appendices)
- Hul’qumi’num 5 to 12 (Appendix B – Learning Resources General Information)
- Hul’qumi’num 5 to 12 (Appendix C – Assessment & Evaluation)
- Hul’qumi’num 5 to 12 (Appendix C – Assessment & Evaluation Samples)
- Hul’qumi’num 5 to 12 (Appendix D – Acknowledgements)